This is my Aunt Una’s oxtail recipe which I have modified over the years.
I have had a 15 year vegetarian fall off the wagon after smelling this recipe being served in my kitchen. Sorry Crystal : )!!!
- 3lbs (1.3kg) oxtails with separated joints
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 cup (475 mL) beef stock
- 1 tablespoon of Better than Bouillon concentrate
- 1 cup (475 mL) Madeira red wine
- 8 whole cloves garlic, peeled and pounded
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped peppers
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 dash of Angostura Bitters
- 1 cup half cooked lima beans
- 2 carrots, cut into 1 inch segments, large pieces also cut lengthwise
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Mix all the above ingredients (except raisins) together in a covered cast iron baking pot.
- Cook in preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 2 hours. (Ovens are all different. So cook until oxtails are literally falling off the bone.) The gravy should be rich and very thick.
- Remove from oven and add raisins.
- Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Serve while hot over Jasmine rice